Skip to content

The Transfer Process

The program makes it possible - you make it happen. The new joint transfer program guarantees that you can transfer from a community college to a CSU. If you start community college ready to take college-level courses, you can complete your associate and bachelor’s degrees with only 120 total units of coursework. 


Step 1:

Complete an Associate Degree for Transfer at a California Community College. 

Students working toward an Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or an Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degree must complete 60 semester units (or 90 quarter units) of required general education coursework and major-specific lower division coursework. To be as competitive as possible, keep your grades up in community college and make sure you meet the admissions requirements for the CSU campus and the major that interests you, and submit all application materials by the posted deadlines.


Step 2:

Arrange Your Transfer to a CSU.

With your AA-T or AS-T you are guaranteed admission into the California State University system, and may be given a GPA bump when applying to a similar degree program outside of your local CSU area or to an impacted program or major similar to your associate degree. An AA-T or AS-T degree guarantees admission to a CSU, but not necessarily to a particular campus or major.


Step 3:

Complete your Bachelor’s Degree at a CSU. 

Transfer students enter the CSU system with junior standing. If you are admitted to a program deemed similar to your AA-T or AS-T, you will only need to complete 60 additional semester units (or 90 quarter units) to earn a bachelor’s degree and will not be required to repeat courses that are similar to those completed at the community college as part of your associate degree. To stay on schedule, make sure you stay enrolled at your campus, pass all of your classes and follow your education plan.